- Peanut butter is a quick, easy, and popular sandwich choice that’s also healthful (in moderation). Use whole-grain bread, and add sliced banana, fruit preserves, or honey and a thin slice of Muenster, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella cheese to your child’s favorite peanut butter. (Tips for Nutritious School Lunches)
- Stuff celery sticks with peanut butter and top with raisins (Choosing Healthy Snacks Using MyPyramid)
- Instead of peanut butter and jelly, try peanut butter and sliced banana. Add a little honey for a sweeter sandwich. (Healthy Eating: Super Sandwiches)
- Banana & Peanut Butter Spread: Cream ½ cup peanut butter, add ¼ cup hot water or evaporated milk, and blend thoroughly. Add ¾ cup mashed ripe banana, and season with 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice. (South Florida Tropicals: Banana)
- Peanut Butter Banana Shake: blend 1 cup low-fat milk, 1 banana (fresh or frozen), 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract (Healthy Eating for Elders: Drink to Your Health)
Peanuts have been one of the more profitable crops grown in the Coastal Plains of the southeastern U.S. for many years. For publications on peanut production in Florida, see Peanut Production topic page.
Peanuts can also be grown in your home garden: see Producing Peanuts for Home Use.